Community and non-government organisation partners have important role in supporting our community through COVID-19. The ACT Government is providing a number of measures to support them meeting increased service demand.
Community Support Package
The ACT Government will work with non-government organisation partners to develop a $7 million Community Support Package to best meet increased service demand for emergency relief.
This package will provide food relief and support for vulnerable members of our community.
The ACT Government will provide $2 million to support the not-for-profit sector to deliver further mental health and community support.
Additional support for Lifeline Canberra
The ACT Government has re-prioritised funding to provide an additional $100,000 to Lifeline Canberra to increase their capacity to undertake their important work in supporting our community.
This funding will enable them to answer an additional 1000 calls each month, over the next six months, supporting our community at this challenging time.
Social Housing Tenants
Housing ACT will make a one-off payment of $250 to all social housing households by June 2020.
Housing ACT is contacting eligible public housing households to update their details to ensure payment can be made as soon as possible.
To support timely payment, public housing households can contact Housing ACT on 6207 1345, Monday to Friday between 8:30am – 5pm AEST to update their details.
For households who have provided their details to Housing ACT, the one-off $250 payment will be made by 30 June 2020. If you have updated or provided your details with Housing ACT, you do not need to contact us again.
For public housing households who have not been contacted about the payment, you may receive a text message, email or letter from Housing ACT asking for you to contact us on 6207 1345 to update/provide your details.
Am I eligible? Social housing households includes both public housing and community housing households that pay rent based on their income. This payment is to relieve some of the financial pressure that may be felt by those most vulnerable in our community during this time.
This initiative is in addition to the Australian Government’s one-off payment of $750 to social security, veteran and other income support recipients and eligible concession card holders.
For more information, including where to update your details to access the payment, please visit the Housing ACT website.
Support for our arts community
The ACT Government has provided support for the local arts community through a range of measures in response to COVID-19.
- Up to $1million of funding to support arts organisations impacted by COVID-19
- $500,000 of funding to support local artists progress their work through COVID-19 as part of the HOMEFRONT program
- Provision of $500,000 in funding to the head-licensees of arts facilities to enable the waiving of fees for sub-licensees for six months
- No rent for a six-month period from 1 April 2020 for community groups occupying ACT Government owned properties, including ACT Government owned arts facilities.
More information is available on the artsACT website.
Education Digital Delivery
The government will provide Chromebooks or similar devices to all students in years four to six and will provide free WiFi in the homes of the most disadvantaged. This will ensure that students who would otherwise not have access to remote teaching materials will not be left behind.
Rental relief to tenants of ACT Government owned properties
The ACT Government will not charge any rent, for a six-month period from 1 April 2020, to community groups occupying ACT Government owned properties.
This includes properties owned by all ACT Government directorates and includes school facilities that are rented to the community and community housing providers and community group will not need to contact the ACT Government for this to take effect.
This rental relief will take effect from 1 April 2020. Tenants will not need to contact the ACT Government for this to take effect.
Support for the Sport and Recreation sector
The ACT Government is providing a range of support mechanisms, for the sport and recreation sector in the ACT that are designed to assist the sector to meet the many challenges of COVID-19, support employees, reduce costs and ensure that the sport and recreation sector can re-emerge in the strongest possible position.
- Immediate financial injection $700,000 to ACT peak sport and recreation bodies, helping support cash flow.
- Early access to the 2021 Sport and Recreation Grants Program, allowing the 28 Triennially funded organisations to receive their 2021 funding allocation from 1 July 2020.
- Bringing forward the 2021 Sport and Recreation Grants Program by more than six months.
- Waiver of ACT Government sportsground hire fees from the Transport Canberra and City Services Directorate (TCCS) for the 2020 winter season, starting mid-March to end of September, with all existing booking/s reserved.
- Suspension of all outstanding invoice payments due for ACT Government sportsground hire fees from TCCS for an initial period through to 1 July 2020.
- Waiver of facility hire fees from the ACT Education Directorate for an initial three-month period effective 14 March through to 14 June 2020, with all existing booking/s reserved.
- Rental relief for community organisations using ACT Government properties.